Crayon etching and design is inspired by the artwork of Sawako Ura, a Japanese textile designer who is based in Finland. Her masterpiece is made by drawing and shaping like a “scratch painting” using crayons and toothpicks.
Here are some simple steps on how you can create your own masterpiece:
- You will need a piece of drawing paper, a ruler, a box of crayons and toothpicks
- Select and use one crayon colour to fill the entire paper with a thick coat of base colour by pressing the crayon hard on the paper
- Use the edge of the ruler to scrub off this 1st layer of crayon till you have a smooth consistent base colour
- Add another layer using different crayon colours according to the shapes or design that you want to create
- Use a toothpick to scratch out or draw the patterns over the 2nd layer of crayon to create your masterpiece